Wednesday, September 23, 2009

An Assemblage of Random Thoughts

I'm going to record some recurring thoughts that occur to me as I walk around campus, in order that I do not forget them only to think them again.

Are there any mammals with fur that's not some variation of brown? Yellowish and reddish count as brown, as do white and black. I know some primates have brightly colored butts, but those are on skin and not fur. Why are feathers on birds so brightly colored and fur on mammals so drab?

How come I never see squirrel poop on campus? For that matter, why have I never seen a squirrel in the act of pooping on campus? What does squirrel poop even look like?

Where do all the dead squirrels and birds go? If most of their deaths resulted from predation, then it would make sense not to see their bodies. But I don't think any squirrel/bird eating predators live on campus. So where are the carcasses of the squirrels and birds who died of old age/sickness/starvation (although the last option is highly unlikely on a college campus)? I wonder about the lack of bird carcasses in Cerritos as well.
Or am I just extremely unperceptive?

That's all I can remember for now. Perhaps I'll append to this list later.

3 comments:

M.B. said...

WHOA, JULIA!

I was just thinking about the sqirrel poop question this morning!

O.O

annkgoo said...

their poop magically disappears XD

caro said...

trust me. everything you see is poop. -_- poop is brown colored, and squirrel poop is small, so you usually don't see it on the ground. yea, i accidentally sat in pile of rabbit poo. but it didn't matter because it just kind of looked like dirt. the only reason i noticed was because the grass was short.
you've NEVER SEEN A DEAD BIRD?!!?!
i feel like they're everywhere. i rarely see dead squirrels just cause there weren't any in cerritos, but dead birds are all along the streets in cerritos. they're usually smaller than you think they are, and are usually getting picked apart by ants.
the reason that mammals have duller colors is because they have to freakin hide julia meng. -_- and the ones that don't have to hide have to blend in so they can kill the ones that do hide.
birds have these things called wings which let them fly in the air. plus, since birds have to be so lightweight, they can't really afford any other decorations besides their feathers which they use to mate. you'll notice that the female birdsies are much more drab. yea. i get the suspicious feeling you should have known this already. plus, the male birds usually die. only the female needs to be around anyways.
i think there are some animals with blue fur, like dogs, horses, and some random antelope thing. and there are these deer like animals with bright orange fur that are orange because if you had grayscale vision, they would have the same hue/ saturation as the green grass behind them.
-__-
mmmmmm i like plants more.